[Cialug] Mandriva - open letter to Steve Ballmer

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Fri Nov 2 10:02:14 CDT 2007

On 11/2/07, Dave J. Hala Jr. <dave at 58ghz.net> wrote:
> I don't really know what Ballmer did. But after reading the Mandriva
> "open letter" it would appear that Francios thinks Ballmer did something
> unethical. Also remember that ethics are "relative"

You keep saying that, but I don't agree. I'd say that they do change
over time, but are set by society. Meaning that, as a business, if you
cross the line you'll hurt yourself.

Interestingly, I think in the software world ethics are getting
stronger, which is contrary to other parts of society where they're
getting more permissive.

For example, more organizations are demanding of their vendors that
they adhere to open standards and are interoperable with their other
tools. If you don't at least pay lip service to this you'll have a
tough time. Only a few years ago the goal of every organization was to
lock you into their software stack.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode