[Cialug] OT: Theater Construction

Matthew Nuzum matthew.nuzum at canonical.com
Thu May 31 17:03:57 CDT 2007

On 5/24/07, Nathan C. Smith <nathan.smith at ipmvs.com> wrote:

> I don't remember who but somebody was building a home theater "maker
> style".
> I was wondering how that project turned out or if it got sidelined?

The LCD was ruined. While soldering onto the LCD circuit board I
accidentally lifted 12 pads. In the process of trying to repair them I
accidentally severed them, completely ruining the circuit board for
the LCD.

You see, there's a database that gives a list of LCDs that don't need to be
soldered and that don't need extension cables. However, I didn't know
about this database when I picked up the LCD.

:-(

Projectors are cheap now. The guys who sell the parts to make your own
projector now also sell a projector that's got a long-life bulb and
all the right connections. http://www.lumenlab.com/

Of course, my project uses a standard over head projector, so in
theory could be done for about $150 if I hadn't ruined the LCD.

In hindsight, a 15" lcd is too big. Ideally a 10 - 13" LCD would work
better, since overhead projectors have 8-9" of width.

I'm keeping my eyes open on e-bay for another LCD, but this project is
shelved (literally) for the foreseeable future.

If you do want to make one, I found that you can, on any given day,
get an excellent projector screen at goodwill for $10.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode