[Cialug] Open Source FlowCharts?

Matthew Nuzum matthew.nuzum at canonical.com
Wed May 23 16:04:10 CDT 2007

> > Jeffrey C. Ollie mentioned Inkscape, which I really really like as a
> > vector drawing program.  However, unless there's some mode or plugin I
> > don't know about, it's kind of the wrong level of abstraction.  Your
> > primitives are comparably low-level bezier curves and such, not true
> > flowchart primitives.
>
> Jeff usually knows so I started digging around for flowcharting in Inkscape.
> I didn't find anything *in* the program.  Could be a nice plugin.
>
> I've used DIA before, last time I tried it had real problems printing in
> Windows, but I will check it again.  Thanks for the pointer to ArgoUML.

Inkscape doesn't have true flowcharting, but (iirc) last year for SoC
the ability to do "connectors" was added. This lets you have one
connector per shape. I was using a beta a while back that also had
some rough routing code for the connectors.

Your flowcharts would look pretty, but it would take an awful lot of
work to make one with much depth.

I use DIA and whatever the powerpoint program in Ubuntu is called.
Presentations? You can also use the word processor I think. I've
printed from both in windows and linux. For DIA, it may be helpful to
have a PS printer.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode