[Cialug] Unborking Feisty Fawn

Brandon Griffis brandongriffis at gmail.com
Tue May 8 13:21:29 CDT 2007

Todd,

Glad to hear your success story.  I was a huge Gentoo fan up until about a
year ago.  It seemed like after Danial left the project the updates would
almost always break something and require intervention.  I'm very hopeful
that things will get back on track now that he's back and working on the
project.  I do think that Gentoo is great as a very hands on way to learn
about Linux.

dist-upgrade basically means upgrading your system to the latest
downloadable release.  Basically when you do a regular upgrade you stay on
the same version of the distribution but get security patches and some minor
version updates to programs.  Nothing that requires major dependency
changes.  When you dist-upgrade it uninstalls any old applications and their
dependencies and installs the new version.  It's sort of a "smart upgrade"
basically converting your system to what it would be like if you installed
the newest version of the distro from DVD, while attempting to keep your
config files working.  Usually it is fairly successful at this, but there
has been a time or two that a new version of an app is not compatible with
the old config file and so that's why dist-upgrade is listed as potentially
hazardous.

-Brandon