[Cialug] Broadband options in Colo, IA

Thomas Kula kula at tproa.net
Fri May 4 08:22:50 CDT 2007

On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 07:59:59AM -0500, Jon Clemons wrote:
> If they are using the Cisco VPN client it should work fine over NAT.
> In the VPN client under transport is enable transparent tunneling checked
> and IPSec over UDP (NAT /PAT)

Work fine over *sane* NAT [1]. Part of my intense Hatred [2]
for the Cisco VPN offering comes from the number of apartment
buildings in the Greater Ames Metroplex Area providing free
intertoobes through NATting boxes that must have been made
of poop.

As a side note (which doesn't help this particular problem
but is related to VPNs in general) I've had really good luck
with OpenVPN and having it just work, even in some really
craptastic networks.

[1]: Well, as sane as any NAT can get.
[2]: It's so bad, the Hatred is capitalized.

--
Thomas L. Kula | kula at tproa.net | http://kula.tproa.net/
Mathom House at Ypsi-Edge, The People's Republic of Ames