[Cialug] Slightly OT: Interesting wireless networking article

Matthew Nuzum matthew.nuzum at canonical.com
Tue Mar 27 15:12:39 CDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 14:37 -0500, Jeffrey C. Ollie wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 13:39 -0500, kristau wrote:
> > Set up an unencrypted WAP sitting in front of a combo firewall and
> > OpenVPN server.  Configure the firewall to only allow connections to
> > the VPN server.  All other traffic is dropped.  Therefore, wireless
> > clients must connect to the VPN server and authenticate to get any
> > further than the "sandbox."  Connecting to the VPN encrypts all
> > traffic traversing the airwaves between the client and VPN server.
>
> Yes, that would work.  I considered doing that before I bought a
> WPA-capable access point.  It might be more secure than WPA since you
> could use a higher-grade encryption as well.  IPSec would work as well.

I bought a new router (Buffalo) that I knew would work with the various
oss firmwares out there so that I could experiment with IPv6.

The way I understand it, IPv6 has IPSec built in, right? Wouldn't this
give you the security?

Anyone using IPv6 yet? My router works so good, its a shame to reflash
it until I'm really ready for it.
--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode