[Cialug] Slightly OT: Interesting wireless networking article

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Mon Mar 26 21:58:46 CDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 21:24 -0500, Tim Wilson wrote:

> I have always heard turning off SSID broadcasting was suggested, but
> this guy appears to say that turning it off is bad.  What are others
> thoughts on this?

Turning off SSID broadcasting is completely pointless.  Your SSID is
contained in each and every wireless packet that you transmit, which is
easily sniffed with one of many tools available.  Here are a few of the
tools that I'm aware of:

http://www.aircrack-ng.org/
http://airsnort.shmoo.com/
http://www.kismetwireless.net/