[Cialug] Wireless Kubuntu

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 19:30:08 CDT 2007

It works!  I got home from work this evening, and tried it out.  I had
fiddled with iwconfig a little and set the parameters of the interface
(key, essid, mode, so on).  Truthfully, I wasn't sure what I was
doing, but I knew enough to do that.  Not being sure what the next
step was, I opened up wlassistant and voila!  It connected right away,
no fuss.  And here I am typing in Kubuntu.

I think the issue may have been not configuration, but signal quality
or something, which means it'll probably come back.

So anyway, if I had a fully supported wireless card and a everything
was working right, how would I start up wireless from the command
line?  iwconfig to set the parameters...  Then does the card just do
its connecting?  Or is there some command to send to the card to tell
it connect?  I'd rather not rely on the GUI.  So... what's the
theoretical chain of events?

-todd