[Cialug] Wireless Kubuntu

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 21:11:38 CDT 2007

I just installed Kubuntu.  For the first time ever, I have a Linux
that recognizes my wireless card.  Unfortunately, I can't connect to
my wireless network.

I'm using Wireless Assistant, which I guess is a KDE app.  It lists my
router's ESSID.  When I click on it it asks me to set up my
connection.  I never had to do that in Windows, but whatever.  It asks
me whether I want "Automatic (DHCP)" or "Manual", and then whether I
have "Open System" or "Shared Key" for the WEP mode, and what is my
hex key.  I know my hex key, and I'm pretty sure I want Automatic.
But no matter which WEP mode I choose, it won't connect.  It says:

wifi0: unknown hardware address type 801
wifi0: unknown hardware address type 801
Listening on LPF/ath0/00:11:50:d6:06:44
Sending on LPF/ath0/00:11:50:d6:06:44
Sending on Socket/fallback
DHCPRELEASE on ath0 to 192.168.2.1 port 67
CONNECTION FAILED.

This is a fresh install of Kubuntu 6.10.  My partner fresh installed
Ubuntu 6.10 tonight on her laptop, and the wireless utility in that
connected right up with no problems.  She's using a Belkin wireless
PCMCIA card, I'm using a Belkin wireless PCI card, we're both
connecting to the same Belkin wireless router.

What's going wrong?

-todd