[Cialug] Resetting screen resolution in SuSE 10.2

Nathan Stien nathanism at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 07:33:14 CST 2007

On 3/9/07, Rob Miller <robarooney at gmail.com> wrote:
> Newbie here.  I added a wide-screen monitor to my Dell running SuSE
> 10.2 and I set the screen resolution to 1680 x 1050.  I ignored a
> warning and saved the setting and when I rebooted, the screen is black
> with a message box saying "Out of Range".  Is there some way I can use
> a "Live CD" and get to the resolution setting and change it to
> something else?  Thanks.

You may be able to hit ctrl-alt-f1 and get a text-mode console.  Then
log in and you might be able to set the resolution with xrandr.

This should get you a numbered  list of available resolutions:
sudo -i
DISPLAY=:0
xrandr

Pick a sensible one and do:
xrandr -s <number>

Then you should be able to get back to you GUI by holding alt and
hitting the left arrow key until you see it.

This will change the present settings in your X server.  It does not
affect your /etc/X11/xorg.conf, which you must edit manually.

Dave Hala's post might guide you better there -- I have never had a
wide-screen monitor.

--
Nathan P. Stien
Consulting Engineer / Software Developer