[Cialug] video conference/videophone

Stuart Thiessen sthiessen at passitonservices.org
Thu Mar 8 12:18:10 CST 2007

As a current videophone user (I rely on it to access Video Relay
Service and communicate with my Deaf friends and customers in American
Sign Language), I personally prefer the use of standalone video devices
like the DLink 1000 with a TV. The primary reason is security. I don't
have to worry as much that someone can use the VP device to access our
network.  We currently have set up our network so that the VP is in the
DMZ. We have experimented with the use of port forwarding too.

I will be getting an Ojo phone to test sometime this Spring. I am
curious to see how it will works.

Deaf people also have the option of using a Sorenson VP-100 or VP-200.
Those work similarly to the DLink DVC-1000, but are not available for
general use.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Stuart Thiessen