[Cialug] Re: XML training by HOTT

carl-olsen at mchsi.com carl-olsen at mchsi.com
Tue Mar 6 09:25:18 CST 2007

SOAP is a common implementation of XML.  I think X-Cart uses it for real-time shipping calculations.  I learned most of what I know about SOAP from looking at the code that X-Cart sends to UPS.

RSS is another common implementation of XML and I've also learned about XML from looking at RSS feeds.

XML is used frequently for configuration files in software applications.

Most of these applications use very simple XML formats.  PHP has great support for XML, as well as C# and Java.  These tools simply convert the XML into arrays and you work with them exactly the same way you would work with data coming from MySQL.

I'm not sure what you are looking for, but you can go much deeper into Xpath and XML Schemas.  I have no idea where you can find training, but there are certainly book available.  I have briefly looked at these technologies, but I really haven't found the need to get into that much detail.  XML is all about data and metadata, very similar to a database.  You have your actual data, and then you have data that describes the data, such as what type of data it is and all the same rules you would use if you were specifying a data type for a column in a database table.

Carl

From: afan at afan.net