[Cialug] windows media

Nathan Stien nathanism at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 14:50:17 CST 2007

On 3/4/07, kristau <kristau at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/4/07, Josh More <morej at alliancetechnologies.net> wrote:
> > Call me old fashioned, but I still like mplayer.  It plays most files
> > just fine if you add the w32 codecs.
>
> Mplayer rocks!

Indeed.  I think mplayer appeals to me most because i am a very
command-line guy.

In practice, though, I favor a mixed approach -- some players like
some files more than others.  If something looks like crap, I move on
to the next player.

mplayer is generally the most badass of media players, but if it
fails, I try vlc.  Third fallback for me is xine, which seems kind of
finicky in my experience.

If I have to be on win32, though, vlc does pretty much everything I
need.  I like vlc because of its very clean default interface (it has
skins, but i hate skins) and its nice default keybindings: you can use
shift-arrow, alt-arrow, ctrl-arrow for various sizes of seeks.  Nice
if you have to sit down and play some exotic format of movie file on
someone else's [windows] machine.

--
Nathan P. Stien
Consulting Engineer / Software Developer