[Cialug] OT: camcorder

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Fri Jun 29 16:32:33 CDT 2007

On 6/29/07, Claus <cniesen at gmx.net> wrote:
> A month ago or so I purchased a camcorder as well.  I picked the Sony
> DCR-HC28 which runs around $250.  Keep in mind that camcorders come with
> small batteries, so I had to spend another $50 on a second battery
> (NPFH70) which has about 3 times the capacity.

> I choose MiniDV over DVDs and HD.

> Make sure though that you have a decent and easy to use video
> editor.

Looks like Best Buy has a mini DV camcorder on sale with blank tapes
and an extra batter for < $300. I'm gonna check it out tonight.

The nice thing about mini dv is that its supported under Kino in
Linux. I've never been able to use Kino because it operates on the
premise that you have a dv camcorder, which I don't. (just a web cam)

Alas, that is something slowing down Linux adoption in soho/consumer
settings... the lack of mainstream multimedia support. We need an
equiv to Windows Movie Maker which, except for the missing DVD
support, is a superb program.

Of course, that could be because the Linux community has done a good
job of scaring away commercial software vendors. But that is another
subject...
http://www.bearfruit.org/blog/2005/09/28/i-like-to-code-i-like-to-eat
--
Matthew Nuzum