[Cialug] OT: camcorder

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Fri Jun 29 11:43:58 CDT 2007

I know many of you are technical enthusiasts, and since its Friday, I
don't feel so bad about sending such a blatantly off-topic post.

My wife will have a baby in the next two weeks or so (Hoping for
07/07/07 personally :-). When my first son was born, we had a
camcorder (just a cheap dv one) and made some videos of him as an
infant. We got tired of using it and sold it off.

Its kind of fun to go back and look at those videos though, so I'm
thinking of getting one again.

I'm not wanting to spend a ton of money, ideally $600 or less. I don't
really care for the kind that burn directly to DVD, but I could be
swayed. I don't need major zoom, high def, wide screen or to record in
the dark.

I expect to be pulling the videos off to a computer so that they can
be edited and burned to DVD.

Best Buy has several models that use hard disk or flash media. Also, I
don't mind the DV format. Any opinions on models I should consider or
avoid?

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode