[Cialug] How to copy 2 drives to 1

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Sun Jun 24 19:37:23 CDT 2007

You have two options.

1) Use "parted" to resize both the partition and the filesystem on it.
2) Use "fdisk" to resize the partition, "partprobe" to read the new
partition, and "resize2fs" to resize the partition.

Best is to use option 1, unless it errors on you, at which point you can
fall back to option 2.

It is common for option 1 to error on you if you have certain older
versions of parted (circa RHEL3), or if you have in excess of 2GB of
RAM, and are *not* running a BIGMEM kernel.  That last one took me far
too long to figure out.

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> "Tim Wilson" <tim_linux at wilson-home.com> 06/24/07 7:25 PM >>>
Along these same lines, how do you expand an ext3 partition?  I swear
I've
done this before, but I can't remember what I did.

On 6/8/07, Todd Walton <tdwalton at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/8/07, Tim Wilson <tim_linux at wilson-home.com> wrote:
> > Would I be able to resize with gparted?  It is on my KUbuntu disc.
>
> I shrunk an NTFS partition with parted 1.7.1.  It's supposed to
> expand, too, though I'm not sure why you'd want more of *that* in the
> world.
>
> -todd

Tim