[Cialug] HP Pavilion Granny Buttons

Nathan Stien nathanism at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 08:07:23 CDT 2007

Hello luggers,

I have an HP Pavilion laptop (dv9308nr).  It has a row of granny buttons
across the top for things like "launch DVD player", back/forward/play/stop
and volume.

When I first put Kubuntu on this machine, they worked fine, but then they
deteriorated somehow and don't work anymore.  I don't really miss the media
control keys, but having an external volume control is pretty handy...

The mute key still lights up orange (normally blue) when I mute the sound
card via software, but the machine seems to ignore presses to those
buttons.  I have tried mapping the buttons to other actions in KDE, but it
doesn't even act like it's getting a scan code when I press them.

The only funky keyboard thing I'm doing otherwise is that I xmodmap esc onto
capslock for vim purposes.  This does not correlate with the granny buttons
not working, though.  I've had this mapping while the buttons worked, and
vice versa.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get my volume control back?

@Kristau:
I noticed at the lug meeting that your laptop was from the same family.  Do
your granny buttons work?

--
Nathan P. Stien
Consulting Engineer / Software Developer