[Cialug] Western Digital My Book

dave at 58ghz.net dave at 58ghz.net
Wed Jun 20 07:50:09 CDT 2007

Anyone get the following error when trying to mount a
western digital usb my book under redhat enterprise 3?

mount: /dev/sdb1 is not a valid block device

Here's the mount command I used:

mount -t auto /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb_1

Here's what dmesg said about the device:

Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
  Vendor: WD        Model: 2500JB External   Rev: 0108
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI
SCSI revision: 02
Attached scsi disk sdb at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
SCSI device sdb: 488397168 512-byte hdwr sectors
(250059 MB)
 sdb: sdb1
WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
USB Mass Storage device found at 2
USB Mass Storage support registered.

I'm guessing this error means that it doesn't
recognize the file system, and that I need to
reformat the drive?
I'm hoping reformating is not what I need to do...

Any thoughts?

:) Dave