[Cialug] SSL & private key ?

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Tue Jun 5 11:49:10 CDT 2007

Apache uses SSL private keys and certs as paired for each virtual host.
If I understand your question, you are wanting to know whether to use
the same private key for all virtual hosts.  The answer is NO.
You need to create a unique private key and cert for each virtual host
that you wish to protect

Also, please bear in mind that HTTPS traffic is encrypted, so you will
need to segment your virtual hosts at the network level.  This means
using a unique IP or port number for each host you run.  Otherwise, the
server doesn't know how to decrypt the packet to get the name of the
virtual host.

I hope this answers your question.

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> "albus" <albus at iowaconnect.com> 06/05/07 11:21 AM >>>
To start off heres the background

1. I created a private key as root in the users dir.
2. I generated the csr in the users dir.
3. I have the cert installed in the users dir and https all works for
the site.

Now the question.

When I go to do another sites SSL cert. does the server
use the same private key for all requests?

Info:
Apache server with openssl and mod_ssl.