[Cialug] Virtual hosts in Apache

Tim Wilson tim_linux at wilson-home.com
Fri Jun 1 20:45:38 CDT 2007

It looks like I have it working, what I did was in addition to the entry for
foobar.domain1.com on port 8080, I added the following:
<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1:80>
    ServerName foobar.domain1.com
    DocumentRoot /var/www/foobar
</VirtualHost>

Where /var/www/foobar doesn't exist.  That way, if someone goes to
foobar.domain1.com on port 80, they'll get a 404.  Until today, I was only
listening on 8080, keeping people from finding I had a web server running
(since most only scan port 80).  However, I have some legit people accessing
certain sites, but some where having problems going to 8080.

The one problem is if someone goes to the actual IP address, they're still
presented with the foo.domain1.com page instead of an error.  I'll see if
there's a way to do a redirect or rewrite.

On 6/1/07, Barry Von Ahsen <barry at vonahsen.com> wrote:

> Tim Wilson wrote:

> joe.

> >> <off-topic flame="on" why="because I can" >
> >> While doing it in joe might not be hard, doing it in vi is downright
> >> easy.
> >> And fun. ;-)
> >> </off-topic>

> > Ignoring the potential flame war (FTR, I use emacs, and it is very
> easy), I
> > tried it with IP addresses and with *.  With *, I get warnings when
> > restarting httpd.  With IP addresses (or with *), If I go to
> > foobar.domain1.com (port 80), I get what I would expect from
> > foo.domain1.com.
> > Is there a way to display an error when someone goes to
> > foobar.domain1.comon port 80, but display the page when they go to
> > port 8080?  I did add
> > NameVirtualHost lines with the appropriate ports.
> >

> you could do
> <VirtualHost foobarip:80>
>         ServerName foobar.domain1.com
>         Redirect / http://foobar.domain1.com:8080/