[Cialug] OT: Deep packet inspection meets 'Net neutrality, CALEA

Brandon Griffis brandongriffis at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 10:07:33 CDT 2007

If you want to blame government.  How about providing Walmart massive
subsidies which allows them to come into the sub 5k towns and make a profit
while undercutting all local business?  I don't think government
intervention is always a great idea, but I also think that it IS sometimes
nescessary.  Such as in the case of ensuring competition (which to me
includes some amount of Net Neutrality).

I don't think of Walmart as an evil entity.  As you said, it's a business
with shareholders whose purpose is to make money.  However, most
corporations have fallen into the method of doing whatever is necessary to
show a substantial growth over the short term.  That's what sells shares.
That's why companies have massive layoffs when in 3-4 years it will damage
the business.  Because in 6 months it will look really good in the stock
report.

The trend for the sub 5k towns has been that Walmart will come in.
Eliminate all other business while making money off subsidies.  Then, with
competition eliminated, will jack up prices to keep making money.  With so
many other jobs lost the town sees an economic decline over the next few
years and a mass exodus.  Then after 10-12 years the Walmart closes,
abandoning the few that remain in a now relative ghost town.  In the process
they've made a ton of money.  So in the case of sub 5k towns it IS in
Walmart's interest to destroy the town, because they can make more money
faster this way.  (Nowata, OK)

As for the town giving subsidies.  It becomes a choice of being destroyed in
10-12 years when the Walmart has sucked the town dry, or of being destroyed
in 1-2 years by Walmart opening a store in the next town over.  Kenneth
Stone (econ professor IAState) has several papers on the sort term vs long
term economic effects of Walmart on sub 5k towns.  (no I didn't go to
IAState, nor have I ever personally met Kenneth Stone - in case anyone
thinks it matters).

For larger towns/cities Walmart doesn't have this kind of negative affect
nearly as often, though it does happen even in moderately populated cities.
(Toledo, OH)

BTW, on a personal note/response: I don't "push my cart" through Walmart.
The last time I even accepted something purchased from Walmart was back in
1998.  But I've been lucky enough to usually live in slightly larger
towns/cities and have a choice in the matter financially.

-Brandon