[Cialug] Automatix

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Jul 25 17:08:05 CDT 2007

On 7/25/07, Todd Walton <tdwalton at gmail.com> wrote:

> What's the word on Automatix?  Anybody used it?  Does it work?
>
> -todd
>

>From company chat room:

> "Bad news. Breaks upgrades badly. We routinely have "2 minute hate"
> sessions where we all scream and throw shoes and books at our computer when
> the word "automatix" is flashed across the screen."
>
> "[the previous statement is] quite mild"
>
> "...it's the implementation of automatix that is the problem, not the fact
> that it makes all this functionality available"
>
> "...almost everything they do can be done with our package management
> tools, just not in one click&drool step..."

I haven't used it personally, but recently when I tried playing media that
wasn't covered by a free license, gstreamer popped open a dialog that helped
me download the plugin automatically. I think this feature has been present
in Ubuntu since Feisty, but I'm running Gutsy so don't know for sure if it
works in Feisty or not.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode