[Cialug] Meeting - 7/18 - Alliance Technologies

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Sun Jul 15 22:26:30 CDT 2007

On 7/15/07, Josh More <morej at alliancetechnologies.net> wrote:
> I am planning to talk about Flickr, blogs, LinkedIn, and Scribd.
> At one point, Matthew Nuzum had suggested that he discuss OpenID and
> the Facebook API.

It's doubtful that I'll be able to attend this time. Here is some food
for thought though:

 * AIM members now have openid:
http://dev.aol.com/aol-and-63-million-openids and maybe
http://dev.aol.com/openauth
 * While there, I saw that AOL's X-drive has a simple API and offers
users 5Gb of free storage http://dev.aol.com/xdrive_api (it uses json)
 * I've been meaning to try out the facebook API but I still can't
think of what I'd want to do with it. :-/

Why aren't there any social networks designed for getting work done?
This would be a wicked cool idea:
 * You create a list of todo items or tasks for follow up. Some of
those items would have dependencies on other people. You assign them
based on e-mail address and they automatically go to others' todo
lists/tasks. If they don't already have an account on the "network,"
they get an invitation to join.
 * Unlike most of these social network sites, this one encourages
people to write plugins for popular desktop applications so that you
never have to log into the website unless you want to. Use Outlook?
Your todo items sync. Use Gnome? EDS ensures your todo items are in
sync (they show up below the calendar on the clock applet).
 * While chatting with someone using Gaim/Pidgin, you're reminded of
something you need to do, so you /todo "Item Description" or click a
button on the interface and the task is added right to the todo list.
 * While at the command prompt you add things to your todo list with a
quick `todo "Item Description"` and then forget about it for now
assured that it's on your todo list.
 * a plugin for Thunderbird allows you to add e-mails to your todo
list; grease monkey script gives this same feature to gmail

It would be "The social network for people who need to get stuff done
so that they can have a life."

OK, this is my million dollar plan, I've been stewing on it for close
to a year now, but in reality, I'm not going to get it done in the
next 12 months, so maybe some other enterprising soul will do it
(maybe even letting me in on the deal when they hit it rich). Or maybe
its already done and I just don't know about it. :-)

Final thought on social media... Call me old school, but IRC and Chat
is about as much (maybe more) social as I can handle.

Southern Baptists have an old saying, "If we ain't e't (short for
eaten, rhymes with let), we ain't met." If you ask me, that's social.
Maybe that's a southern thing though.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode