[Cialug] usb to ide

Dan Hockey icepuck2k at mchsi.com
Sun Jul 15 10:51:35 CDT 2007

I was volunteered to help a friend figure out what happened to his 386/33
win3.1 no less. The cmos seems to have died, it doesn't beep or display
anything.

Now that I got him to think about a new computer, the data on his old hdd
became the next problem and since he didn't backup anything pulling the
drive is the only option I could think of. He's in the process of writing a
book and I think its part of the reason of not letting the drive go home
with me. I think someone  here mentioned  a usb to ide before but I can't
remember.

Is there any particular brand of adapter that I should look for? Do they all
work the same?

I thought of trying linux (mandriva) first and mounting the drive in
readonly and burn everything to cd. I don't want XP trying to convert his
drive to fat32.

If I get stuck with having to do this I'm going to do it as cheap as I can,
hence the adapter.

-dh

  _____