[Cialug] NIC Teaming/Bonding and Vlans

Matt Patterson matt at usrlocal.com
Mon Jul 9 13:13:16 CDT 2007

Oh, I know it works. I have several boxes already setup with bonding +
vlan.  Most are SuSE boxes.  But I have gotten it working on debian and
redhat before.  But for some reason, I've run into this issue and can't
figure out how to get around it.  The modules are all loaded.  The bond
can be setup.  The only thing that I am thinking of is that there is a bug
in 2.6.16 with vlans and bonding.

# modprobe --list | grep -i bonding
/lib/modules/2.6.16-qla2300-custom/kernel/drivers/net/bonding/bonding.ko

# modprobe --list | grep -i mii
/lib/modules/2.6.16-qla2300-custom/kernel/drivers/net/mii.ko

# modprobe --list | grep -i 8021q
/lib/modules/2.6.16-qla2300-custom/kernel/net/8021q/8021q.ko

For those running debian and looking for a good tutorial on how to setup
vlans, I suggest this site:
http://www.5dollarwhitebox.org/wiki/index.php/Howtos_NIC_Bonding_Debian

-Matt