[Cialug] DVD Ripping

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Mon Jul 9 10:18:54 CDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-09 at 09:54 -0500, Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:
> A couple years ago i ripped my CD collection and have happily not had to
> mess with physical discs since. Now hard drive space is getting cheap
> enough that i'm contemplating doing the same with my DVD collection.
> Has anyone done that? What software did you use to rip the DVDs? I'll
> want to create files that have the video, the audio tracks, and the
> subtitle tracks all in one file (without the subtitles burned into the
> image as some software does).

Thoggen[1] does a pretty nice job of ripping to Ogg/Theora/Vorbis.  It
doesn't support subtitles AFAIK.  There's supposed to be some
work-in-progress in supporting the Dirac video codec which is a new
high-quality video codec being developed.

You'll need relatively recent versions of gstreamer and plugins
installed to use thoggen.

Jeff

[1] http://thoggen.sourceforge.net/