[Cialug] Introduction

Kendall Bailey krbailey at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 14:52:29 CDT 2007

I'm guessing you didn't run updatedb as root.  The "#" is typically
the prompt you see when logged in as root, so when you see a command
line like the one given in this case

# updatedb; locate firewalk | xargs file | grep executable

it's a hint to run it as root.  Also, the "sbin" directory is
typically in root's PATH already.  Executables and scripts installed
there usually have system administration purposes.  That doesn't mean
a non-privileged user can't run them at all, but there's things that
only root can do.

To add a path to your PATH environment variable, in bash, or ksh you can

$ PATH="${PATH}:/add/a/path/here"

With csh, or tcsh the syntax is different, see setenv.

good luck.