[Cialug] Gpt drives and management tools

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Tue Jul 3 13:56:54 CDT 2007

df and parted disagree on sizes even on your good old multi-GB volumes
on a SAN.
We've been running that way for many years without issue, using both
ext3 and xfs.
The few issues we've had have not been related to the filesystem or
kernel.

(By the way, servers tend not to like when interns trip over the little
orange cables and damage the fiber inside).

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> "Nathan C. Smith" <nathan.smith at ipmvs.com> 07/03/07 1:51 PM >>>

> I used parted and mkfs.ext3 on Debian Etch. With a gpt
> partition table.

Does one of them (ext3 or xfs) play better than the other? I have it
"working" right now but I'm not sure I trust it.  df -H reports a
different
size than parted does - I assume because df -H  is using the MFT hack
read the info.  Parted reports the size I think it should be.

-Nate