[Cialug] Odd Kubuntu issue

Nathan Stien nathanism at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 16:35:48 CDT 2007

On 7/2/07, Tony Bibbs <tony at tonybibbs.com> wrote:
> I set my neighbor up on Kubuntu last winter which has been working fine until today.  Now when she logs in she can't type.  It's weird because if I reboot to a commandline  I can type just fine so I think it's got to be an xorg or KDE issue...probably a KDE issue because during KDE's load process I can hit ctrl-alt-f2 to get to a prompt until a certain point and then it stops.  Any ideas how to troubleshoot this oddity?

I'd say the first step would be to start a session with something more
minimal like twm or xfce and see how the keyboard works.  If it does,
you know the problem is somehow KDE related.

Another thing to try is renaming your ~/.kde/ directory to something
else.  All KDE settings are stored under .kde/, so if you rename it to
.kde-backup/, KDE will think this is the first time it's been run.
See if your keyboard works then.  If it does, then you could just
rebuild your settings, or just surgically copy bits of .kde-backup/ to
.kde/.

--
Nathan P. Stien
Consulting Engineer / Software Developer