[Cialug] Windows Scripting

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 14:32:31 CST 2007

On 1/30/07, Matthew Nuzum <matthew.nuzum at canonical.com> wrote:
> On Linux, have you see the various "dialog" tools?

Yep.  I haven't fully explored what they can do, but I'm sure it's
more than just "Yes/No", right?

> And, regarding the HTML interface, have you played with GWT (Google Web
> Toolkit)? It lets you easily create java based web applications, but

The problem with Java based web apps is that they're Java based.  I
don't want to code in Java!  It hurts too much!

> launches them in a self contained application window. I can't help but
> wonder if there will be a way to deploy apps like that. That would be
> cool.

Isn't that what XUL was supposed to do?

> I think it's ironic that Microsoft came out with PowerShell or Monad or
> Gonad or whatever it's called. It really borrows from the strengths of
> Unix shells and gives Windows a very useful shell and scripting
> environment.

Ironic?  You can't escape reality, and the reality is that the Unix
style shell works well.

> Wikipedia says that with exchange 2007, all administration
> is done via command line (using monad) and the guis simply execute the
> command line programs. How original!

Now if they'd just do that with everything, and if the third party
apps started picking up on it...  I wish OpenOffice were more
scriptable as well, but I haven't checked since 2.0 came out and there
was some deal about improving OO.org bindings for various languages.
Maybe it's improved.

-todd