[Cialug] "Open Software Advisory" at ISU

D. Joe Anderson deejoe at etrumeus.com
Mon Jan 29 12:53:11 CST 2007

OK, so let's overlook for now the confusion over the term "licensed" and not
quibble--for the moment--over the "open" vs "freedom" thing.

I'm well pleased to see at least part of ISU make this sort of statement:

      "There exists a growing number of freely available high-quality software
      packages based on open-source development models.  Many of these software
      packages are designed to interoperate with and act as functional
      replacements for licensed, proprietary software. More use of open-source
      software in our curriculum would result in an enhancement of student
      learning and a decreased reliance on university maintained computer
      laboratories, given that this software can be installed on personal
      computers.  LASCAC encourages departments to explore the use of open-source
      software in courses and to install such packages on computers in public
      laboratories."

Then follows a list of recommended free software (well, except for the
numerical computing package, which isn't free or open source, so far as I
can tell):

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:UqUtuog7AKgJ:www.las.iastate.edu/faculty_and_staff/forms/lascac_cfp_2006-2007.doc+LASCAC+site:iastate.edu&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1&client=firefox-a

Damn shame this had to wait until after I'd left, though ;-)

--
Joe