[Cialug] Linux and Wine + Starcraft

dave dchampion at visionary.com
Thu Jan 18 22:21:57 CST 2007

Nathan C. Smith wrote:
> Anybody know how to run Starcraft Fullscreen in Wine?  With audio?  The
> installer had audio but the game doesn't seem to.
>
> I'm still Googling.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Nate

I haven't run it recently, but I have in the past. It worked with sound.
To go full screen, you need to switch your X resolution to 640x480 (at
least that was the work-around when I tried it).

There was a memory leak that would cause the game to slow down to
painfully laggy slowness after several minutes at that time.

p.s. If you're interested in a fun RTS / action game, try Gate88 - it's
cross platform Linux / Mac / Windows. Think Homeworld meets xpilot. The
gameplay also reminds me of Battlezone (the late '90's RTS, not the
original arcade game). If you're going to try the "practice" mode, set
the AI down really low to start with. :)

http://www.queasygames.com/gate88/

-dc