[Cialug] New Guy

Nathan Stien nathanism at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 11:14:10 CST 2007

On 1/17/07, Matthew Nuzum <matthew.nuzum at canonical.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 21:40 -0600, Nathan Stien wrote:
> > For a general purpose USB interface, I might recommend FTDI's MM232R
> > module.  <snip>
>
> Fascinating... will try it.

I just had to buy another one yesterday.  They're $18 at Mouser.com.
http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=MM232Rvirtualkey62620000virtualkey626-DLP-MM232R

We're incorporating them into a cheapo non-production debug interface
for our latest gadget.    I probably won't use the aforementioned
libftdi because I write my Windows GUIs in python.  I just discovered
this interesting looking (Windows-only for now) python package to
interface to these chips:

http://bleyer.org/pyusb/

Tragically, it's named PyUSB even though it really only seems to deal
with FTDI USB chips.  It's also LGPL, which is nice for those like me
who are forced to write proprietary code.  I don't imagine it would be
too bad to port this over to Linux.

> Oh, to answer your question from another thread, I'm the webmaster for
> the Ubuntu, Canonical and Bazaar websites.

Volunteer or paid?  If paid, wow, that sounds pretty sweet.

- nps

--
"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying
to find easier ways to do something." - Robert A. Heinlein