[Cialug] New Guy

Matthew Nuzum matthew.nuzum at canonical.com
Wed Jan 17 10:21:04 CST 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 21:40 -0600, Nathan Stien wrote:
> For a general purpose USB interface, I might recommend FTDI's MM232R
> module.  It's a nice little easy module to interface to, as it has
> simple 0.1" headers coming out of it and a USB type B jack built right
> into it.  It has some extra lines which can be controlled in software
> for general purpose I/O, even while you're using the RS-232 serial
> interface. Best part is, the drivers are already in the mainline
> kernel since 2.6.9.
> http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/EvaluationKits/MM232R.htm

Fascinating... will try it.

> > I'm actually pumped, because in the last two weeks I've perfected my
> > home-built circuit board etching process and am getting killer PCBs.
>
> Congratulations; I have never once got a home etched board to come out
> right.

I spoke too soon. I realized that, while I have drill bits small enough
to make the holes, neither of my rotary tools, nor either of my drills
has a chuck small enough to hold the bits. :-) So, the circuits boards
work great for the surface mount parts, but I've now got three circuit
boards that need 60 holes drilled each, and all I have is a non-powered
hand drill.

Oh, to answer your question from another thread, I'm the webmaster for
the Ubuntu, Canonical and Bazaar websites.
--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode