[Cialug] Fwd: [DM-MUG] Printer Problems

kristau kristau at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 23:00:08 CST 2007

On 1/16/07, Stuart Thiessen <sthiessen at passitonservices.org> wrote:
> I know this is a Mac issue, but thought maybe you might have some ideas
> from the *nix side of things. Any ideas?
>
> > 1) I can't get the webserver to stay up. It wants to forget to stay
> > on. I use it for sharing iCals calendar information between my home
> > computer and my work laptop. So it is annoying when I have to restart
> > the webserver to make sharing happen.

Check /var/log/httpd/error_log and /var/log/system.log for clues as to
why the Web server won't stay running.

> > 2) Every so often, the printer refuses to print. Jobs accumulate in
> > the queue and the queue refuses to start. You click start and it
> > pauses a few seconds and returns to a Jobs Stopped state. Any ideas?
> > I've tested this with both a printer using USB and network
> > connections. Same problem.

I believe Mac OS X uses CUPS for printing.  It may also depend on the
Web server service being up, but that's speculation on my part.  Check
/var/log/cups/error_log for clues on what's causing your cupsd process
to lock up.

Hmm, now that I have a Mac, perhaps I should get involved in the DMMUG, too?

--
Tired programmer
Coding late into the night

My GNUPG public key is available at http://www.kristau.net/public_key.asc