[Cialug] OT: Apple iPhone and digital media

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Tue Jan 16 08:49:06 CST 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 08:21 -0600, Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:
> On Monday 15 January 2007 20:51, Nathan C. Smith wrote:
> >So I saw the Keynote Steve Jobs gave and I have to say I'm pretty
> > blown away by the iPhone.
> >Anybody else have a reaction to it?
>
> I don't have a cell phone, and i'm a bit opposed to cell phones in
> general (there are too many people who use them inappropriately such as
> in movie theaters or while piloting a swerving car). However, the
> iPhone is the first phone i've seen that i actually want to own. I'm
> thinking 2010. That will be the year i finally get a cell phone. By
> then the iPhone should be a little cheaper, not tied to one provider,
> and i expect it will have GPS built-in. So it could replace my iPod
> Nano, my GPS, and the pager that my boss gave me. Usually i don't carry
> any of those devices with me, but if all of them were consolidated into
> one device that could also make phone calls and with an interface as
> simple as what Apple can design, i'd be interested.

I wonder how Apple is going to deal with the E911 issue without GPS...
Anyway, I found these interesting links about the iphone:

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/01/11/the-ultimate-iphone-frequently-asked-questions/
http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/01/13/ultimate-iphone-faqs-list-part-2/

> >Apple TV looks a little more polished than MythTV, but I don't see
> > anything outstanding there.
>
> This product also interests me, but i've not spent as much time reading
> the specs or what all it does. I intend to wait a few weeks after it is
> released and articles about it start to show up. I'm curious to see how
> easy it is to make it support codecs other than the ones QuickTime can
> play. Failing that, i'm curious to know how well it supports Linux.

I'd bet that it's using something similar to the DAAP protocol that
iTunes uses.

>  My
> PVR is a VHS VCR, but i'd happily replace it with something better if
> it didn't require much work and didn't cost too much. I could afford
> the cost of the Apple TV, and if it works the way i would want it to
> out-of-the-box or can run MythTV (or some other easy-to-install Linux),
> then i might get one. Basically, if it is hackable i'll probably get
> one. If it isn't, i'll pass.

I seem to recall that the Apple TV didn't have any A/V inputs so it
wouldn't have any way to record content directly.  Seems to be strictly
a playback device.