[Cialug] MythTV project, any suggestions?

Daniel.Juliano at wellsfargo.com Daniel.Juliano at wellsfargo.com
Tue Jan 9 15:49:11 CST 2007

It's been forever since I've had a good chance to brag about something
I've done on linux, but the moons are aligning for giving htpc a shot -
My CRT projector is dimming and the wife wants my computer outta her
office.  So I'm upgrading to a DLP projector and moving the computer to
sit near it in the basement.

My computer so far - 768MB RAM, 160GB HDD, 1.5GHz+ AMD, and currently
happily running Ubuntu Edgy.  Over the last six hours I've purchased a
Hauppage PVR 150 tuner, an Asus audio card with SPDIF digital coax out,
an HD1000U Mitsubishi projector, and a 35ft HDMI cable (only cost $50 -
check out monoprice.com for affordable cable).

I found a number of sites that cover MythTV for Ubuntu (such as
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV), and it appears that given my
hardware choices I should be fine for install, but thought I'd post here
since I know there's at least one MythTV user in the LUG.

Any suggestions before I attempt my install this weekend, especially
'things to know' that would save me a couple hours of headache?