[Cialug] New Firewall

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at DRAKE.EDU
Fri Jan 5 14:53:14 CST 2007

On Friday 05 January 2007 14:24, Tom Pohl wrote:
>Does anyone know of a set of tools that will give me what I'm looking
>for that will install on top of a standard distribution instead of a
>stand alone distribution with a purdy web interface?

I wouldn't install a firewall using anything other than OpenBSD. I'd
probably also remove the unnecessary moving parts (read: hard drives)
and replace them with a 1 GB IDE flash drive. Actually i'm going to be
replacing my home firewall soon with a low-power machine running
OpenBSD off of flash. Based on recent other experiences installing
OpenBSD, a full installation will leave most of the 1 GB free. And it
is possible to configure the filesystem to be read-only so you don't
have to worry about power outages, at least not beyond the usual spikes
and such that a high-quality surge protector can filter out.

Speaking of Linux firewalls, those of you who attended meetings years
ago may remember a time that i brought in a 486 in a cardboard box to
show off. That machine is still in production, and still in the same
cardboard box. Totally silent, no moving parts (beyond the floppy
drive, but it is only used at boot). But only 133 MHz (it's an AMD
chip; i don't think Intel pushed the 486 that fast) with something like
24 MB RAM. Over time the machine has developed some odd issues though.
The motherboard battery has been dead for years, so if i turn the
machine off or (more commonly) the power goes out, i have to go through
the BIOS and reset everything. Also there is some oddity either with
the specific ethernet cards (both 3c509b, still the best 10mbit cards i
know of) or with how they interact with the ancient version of Linux
that runs on the thing where while the machine is booting if the
ethernet cards are not connected to something that can cause the link
lights to come on, the cards are not initialized. Once the machine is
up and running it is OK to disconnect the ethernet and plug it back in,
but it can't boot disconnected. Weird. My main reason for wanting to
replace it is to upgrade from a really old Linux to a modern OpenBSD.
If anyone wants the cardboard 486 after it is retired, let me know.