[Cialug] "Designed for Microsoft Windows XP"

Matthew Nuzum matthew.nuzum at canonical.com
Sun Feb 25 08:37:37 CST 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-25 at 00:14 -0600, Rachel Garrett wrote:
> Thank you for all the suggestions. I tried F12, and it gave me the message
>
> PXE-E61 Media test failed, check cable
> PXE-M0F Exiting PXE-ROM

That's boot from lan... since you have it, you can always resort to the
more complex but very effective technique of booting and installing over
a network.

> I tested two more disks, and it was definitely spinning up and trying
> to read them.
>

> I didn't have any Windows boot CDs, and this machine doesn't have a
> CD-burner, so it was back to the BIOS...
>
> I've messed with BIOS settings that pre- and post-date this one
> (2001),

It sounds like a problem I had on my Thinkpad 600e... it boots fine off
of pressed cds with a capacity of 650MB, but it won't boot off of burned
CDs with a capacity of 700MB. For a while you could still get the lower
capacity 650MB CDRs, but now they're very tricky to find.

I have a stack of CDs I've been trying to get to the LUG... I have about
12 Ubuntu/Edubuntu/Kubuntu cds, all pressed and including CD cases. I
also have a couple stickers that say "powered by Ubuntu" that fit nicely
next to or on top of the "Designed for ... XP" logo. Maybe one of these
[CDs] would work better in your computer.

By the way, I say "trying" to get the CDs to the LUG, however someone
has said if I just call them sometime when I'm on the west side I can
give them to him, but I keep not-getting to the west side, so it's my
fault entirely.

Rachel, do you want to try one of these CDs? I can probably get you one,
either directly or through someone else in the LUG. All I have is
Ubuntu, but you really didn't want anything else, did you? :-) They are
live CDs that have the option of installing to your hard drive, so you
can try it before you "buy" it.
--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode