[Cialug] Sun's "datacenter in a box"

David Champion dchampion at visionary.com
Fri Feb 23 17:01:46 CST 2007

Matthew Nuzum wrote:
> http://www.sun.com/events/st/photos.jsp
>
> Sun has this new "datacenter in a box" concept where they send you this
> black box that is powerful enough to get onto the top 200 super computer
> list.
>
> They're going to bring one to Des Moines March 30th at the science
> center.
>
> I wonder why they call it a "virtual data center" though.
>
> Based on the e-mail they sent, I was expecting a shoe box sized device.
> So I was looking at the picture going, "ok, where's the box? Why have
> the picture if you're not showing the thing?"
>
> "Oh, the semi trailer IS the box..."

That reminds me of other uses of those shipping containers I've heard
about... google for "shipping container architecture" and you'll find a
ton of people are using them. One site even had a link to Sun's data
center project.

Apparantly there's a surplus of shipping containers, and they're very
cheap now, so it makes a lot of sense to re-use them for other purposes.

-dc