[Cialug] DAMA February Meeting - Sandy Georgas-Gait: The Rodney Dangerfield of Data Architecture - Data Profiling, It Gets No Respect

david l goodrich dlg at dsrw.org
Thu Feb 22 18:00:23 CST 2007

I spoke with someone at the after-meeting about PowerDesigner.  I
recommended he go to a DAMA meeting to ask people that use the
tool on a regular basis if he wanted user experiences with the
tool.

Below is an email about the next meeting... sorry about spamming
everyone else :]
  --david

We are excited to have Sandy Georgas-Gait as our speaker.

Please see information below and remember to register at:

http://www.dama.org/public/pages/index.cfm?pageid=444
<http://www.dama.org/public/pages/index.cfm?pageid=444>

Nationwide                      Room:C212/216

1100 Locust Street      Feb 27, 2007

Des Moines, Iowa                8:00- 11:30

DAMA-IA is Proud to Present:

Sandy Georgas-Gait

The Rodney Dangerfield of Data Architecture -

Data Profiling, It Gets No Respect

BIO:  Sandy Georgas-Gait has been in the Data Management profession
since 1986, in roles including Data Architect, Data Architect Team
Leader, DBA, DBA Manager, and is currently the Enterprise Data Architect
for Laidlaw Education Services, North America's largest provider of
school bus and public transit services. She has designed a vast number
of databases in a number of DBMS platforms, including multiple data
warehouses, as well as numerous OLTP and OLAP databases. She has
developed several Enterprise Data Models, defined Data Architecture
processes, taught new DA's, and has developed many company specific data
architecture tools and standards. She has worked in a variety of
industries including energy, banking, retail and transportation. In
addition, as a graduate of famous Second City in Chicago, she peppers
her presentations with humor, making her sessions entertaining as well
as educational.

8:00    Registration

8:30    Opening Remarks - Abbie Allen

8:45    The Rodney Dangerfield of Data Architecture - Data Profiling, It
Gets No Respect (There will be one break during the session).

11:30   Program End

Abstract -

        After working in the data management profession for 20 years, I
didn't think there were too many new tricks of the trade, until I
recently discovered one, i.e. Data Profiling, but not as a data quality
tool, as a data architecture tool. I have learned how to use data
profiling to write metadata, design databases including data warehouses,
develop data mapping documents, understand the databases I inherit, and
to reduce the time I need to develop these artifacts. I haven't seen
many Data Architect's take advantage of data profiling in this way, and
so this presentation will explain how to profile your data and apply
this knowledge to database design, and not jut to data quality analysis.

This presentation covers:

*       How to Profile Data

*       Applying Data Profiling to metadata development

*       Applying Data Profiling to database design

*       Applying Data Profiling to data conversions and data mappings

*       Applying Data Profiling to interpreting inherited databases
including packages

*       Making the boss and project manager happy by reducing time to
develop data architecture deliverables by using data profiling

Fee: Free to DAMA-Iowa members; $15 for non-members

        Registration Required at the Web Site Below

Check out DAMA-Iowa chapter's web site at:
<http://check%20out%20dama-iowa%20chapter's%20web%20site%20at%20www.data
model.org/dama>
http://dama.internet4associations.com/public/pages/index.cfm?pageid=444

DAMA-IA is a non-profit, vendor-independent professional organization,
dedicated to furthering understanding of information by providing and
supporting an open forum addressing issues related to our field.  Join
us for great presentations and a chance to talk to fellow data
professionals