[Cialug] Laptop for sale: Compaq Armada 1700

kristau kristau at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 11:15:03 CST 2007

This is a "classic" Compaq Armada 1700 laptop, built like a tank.  Output
from cpuinfo, meminfo and lspci are at the end of this message, but here is
an overview:

CPU: Pentium II 233 MHz
RAM: 32 MB
Hard Drive: 5 GB
3.5" Floppy drive
CD ROM drive
Ports:
 2 x serial (one 9-pin, one IR)
 1 x parallel
 1 x USB
 1 x VGA
 1 x PS/2
 2 x PCMCIA slots
 2 x audio (one mic in, one headphone out)
Screen: approximately 12 inches diagonal
OS installed: Windows 9x (didn't look too close, but I can confirm if
requested)
Battery life test: system ran from a full charge for about 1 hour and 25
minutes with the following processes running:
* 'top' running in the first VT
* 'burnP5' running in the second
* 'watch -n 7 -d apm -v' in the third
* 'while true; do hexdump -C /dev/hda; done' in the fourth
I unplugged the power after launching the first two, then started the second
two after about 9 minutes in to the test because it was till at 100%.
Cosmetics: Excellent.  No scratches, cracks or discoloration on the case.
The LCD has no stuck pixels (couldn't easily check for dead ones as I was in
console mode).
Power supply: built in.  It comes with just a mains power lead, so there is
no power brick to carry about.

Not the zippiest old laptop, but I'm selling this for a co-worker.  They
paid $100 for it and would like to recoup most, if not all of that cost.
Please e-mail offers direct to me at kristau at gmail.com.  I'm not willing to
ship this, but I can bring it to the next CIALUG meeting to exchange it for
cash.  Thanks!

As promised, some more details.  I booted the system from a knoppix 5 CD
with the following boot parameters:
'knoppix 2 nodma noudev vga=0'
It will not run X due to insufficient RAM.  nodma was required so it would
boot from the CD.  noudev was required because it hung loading udev.  vga=0
was required because the bottom console lines were beyond the bottom edge of
the screen in the default vga mode (80x50 I believe?).

Output from 'cat /proc/cpuinfo':
processor    : 0
vendor_id    : GenuineIntel
cpu family    : 6
model        : 5
model name    : Pentium II (Deschutes)
stepping    : 0
cpu MHz        : 233.385
cache size    : 512 KB
fdiv_bug    : no
hlt_bug        : no
f00f_bug    : no
coma_bug    : no
fpu        : yes
fpu_exception    : yes
cpuid level    : 2
wp        : yes
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
pse36 mmx fxsr up
bogomips    : 467.87

Output from 'cat /proc/meminfo':
MemTotal:        28664 kB
MemFree:          2308 kB
Buffers:          4848 kB
Cached:           7892 kB
SwapCached:          0 kB
Active:          14216 kB
Inactive:         5844 kB
HighTotal:           0 kB
HighFree:            0 kB
LowTotal:        28664 kB
LowFree:          2308 kB
SwapTotal:           0 kB
SwapFree:            0 kB
Dirty:               4 kB
Writeback:           0 kB
Mapped:           8796 kB
Slab:             4176 kB
CommitLimit:     14332 kB
Committed_AS:    10164 kB
PageTables:         96 kB
VmallocTotal:   999416 kB
VmallocUsed:      1900 kB
VmallocChunk:   997360 kB
HugePages_Total:     0
HugePages_Free:      0
HugePages_Rsvd:      0
Hugepagesize:     4096 kB

Output from 'lspci':
0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX Host
bridge (AGP disabled) (rev 02)
0000:00:07.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 02)
0000:00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev
01)
0000:00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev
01)
0000:00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 02)
0000:00:08.0 VGA compatible controller: Chips and Technologies F65555
HiQVPro (rev a8)
0000:00:11.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1220 (rev 02)
0000:00:11.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1220 (rev 02)

--
Tired programmer
Coding late into the night

My GNUPG public key is available at http://www.kristau.net/public_key.asc