[Cialug] Bandwidth Shapers

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Mon Dec 17 13:55:56 CST 2007

On Dec 17, 2007, at 1:32 PM, Dave Weis wrote:

> My complaint about subnets was more that if I have a /24 of people
> that should have the same speeds, I have to make 256 separate
> buckets and matching rules. Doing it the way I would hope for it to
> work led to hundreds of people sharing a 256k bucket and causing my
> phone to ring.

I know that tcng isn't pretty either. But at least you don't have to
remember the byte offset of the source address like you do if you
write in u32 directly.

If you're only interested in the overall rate and general fairness you
can just setup a big bucket with SFQ. SFQ goes round-robin though
connections (more or less), so that everyone in the bucket gets
approximately fair access. It won't stand up to intentionally abuse --
if you open a large number of connections you get more turns -- but it
works decently for things like web access.

If you really need strictly-enforced, per-IP limits my only other
suggestion is writing a script to copy the config 256 times. I'm not
aware of any auto-configuring filter to apply a defined limit by IP,
or even a queue type to enforce fairness by IP.

	Zach