[Cialug] Bandwidth Shapers

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Mon Dec 17 12:30:32 CST 2007

On 12/17/07, Zachary Kotlarek <zach at kotlarek.com> wrote:
> On Dec 17, 2007, at 11:41 AM, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
> >
> > I'm OK with shaping by IP address, I just don't want to maintain the
> > list of IP addresses myself - I'd rather pay to have someone else
> > maintain the list.  I just want to click a checkbox next to something
> > that says "limit facebook to 5Mb/s" and have it "just work" without me
> > having to run a sniffer and figure out what IP addresses facebook's
> > servers run from.  Same deal for myspace, youtube, etc.
>
> This may not be the solution you're looking for, but it's not as hard
> as you think to maintain that list:
>
> Listen to all HTTP traffic
> Record HOST headers
> Record IP address
> Record transfered data size
> Sort that list by transfered data size

The problems with this approach:

1) It's not all HTTP traffic, some of it is encrypted, some of it is
non HTTP protocols.
2) Not all HTTP traffic is on port 80.
3) It's not always easy to tell from the Host header what "site" the
traffic belongs to.

Plus I'd still have to manually vet the lists from time to time, plus
write the scripts and a GUI in the first place.

This isn't really about technical know how - I know how all of this is
done, I've done it in the past and I could do it now - I just don't
have the time to do implement and manage this myself.  I want to pay
someone to do it for me.

(Actually, I'd rather not do any shaping of this sort at all, but it's
not my call...).

Jeff