[Cialug] Qwest DSL NATed?

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon Dec 17 11:36:51 CST 2007

On Dec 17, 2007 10:59 AM, Nathan C. Smith <nathan.smith at ipmvs.com> wrote:

> One of my co-workers in on Qwest DSL - I think MSN is the ISP.  Anybody
> know
> if this combination is NATed?
>
> I may try to talk him into a different ISP, he wants to be able to VPN
> into
> his home network.  I'm not sure Qwest + dynamic DNS would let him achieve
> that.  Anybody doing this now?

I'm using this same network configuration - Qwest + MSN. I run a webserver
in my house (for development and testing purposes, also for remote access)
and have no problems, *except* that I had to go to the webpage of my dsl
modem and configure my home router as a dmz host. So, my configuration looks
like:

Modem gets external IP address on dsl side
Modem assigns 192.168.0.1 to it's ethernet port
Modem uses dhcp to assign 192.168.0.2 to my home router

Therefore I have to tell the modem, via http://192.168.0.1/ to treat
192.168.0.2 as a dmz host so that it merely forwards all traffic to it and
let me manage the rules through the router's interface.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode