[Cialug] Bandwidth Shapers

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Mon Dec 17 09:54:05 CST 2007

I'm curious if anyone knows of a product that will help us shape some
of our Internet traffic.  In particular, we need something that will:

1) Handle a lot of bandwidth, at least 40Mb/s of bandwidth currently
and likely to grow (don't go by the interface type... I have expensive
Cisco routers with Gig-E interfaces that will only handle 45Mb/s).

2) Have the ability to shape traffic to particular web sites, e.g.
myspace, facebook, or youtube without having to manually identify IP
ranges and ports.  If necessary, we'd be willing to pay a reasonable
subscription fee to keep the list of web sites updated.

3) Time based controls (so we could limit facebook traffic during the
day, but open it up at night).

Jeff