[Cialug] java web toolkits

carl-olsen at mchsi.com carl-olsen at mchsi.com
Wed Dec 12 09:37:24 CST 2007

I don't have a slow connection to test it with, so maybe my solution isn't the greatest.  I mostly work on intranet applications where I know what connection speed my users will have.

The alternative would be to send an ajax call to another page that retrieves the data from the database and returns it to the ajax call.  I'm not sure what the performance would be, but you are correct that the page should initially load faster if it's not pulling that data into JavaScript arrays while the page is loading.

I would not use a framework for this unless I had other reasons for using a framework.  I'm playing with symfony right now, but it will not run inside the CMS I have to integrate it with.  I'm using the ORM part of symfony to create my PHP objects, which is definitely a big advantage.

Carl

From: Dave Weis <djweis at internetsolver.com>