[Cialug] java web toolkits

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Wed Dec 12 09:01:18 CST 2007

On Dec 12, 2007 6:06 AM, Dave Weis <djweis at internetsolver.com> wrote:

> I've got a large webapp that I have written using Struts. I'm putting in
> new features and would like to have some new features like having one
> dropdown box repopulate choices based on the selection in a different
> box, etc. Is it worthwhile to try and shoehorn a full toolkit like GWT
> into my functional app or just manually do the javascript to accomplish
> what I want.

We kind of went through this discussion in the PHP users group meeting a few
months ago... the question can be boiled down to, "Is it worth while to use
a framework?"

The answers were varied, but (correct me if I'm wrong) can be summarized as:

 * It's usually quicker to just write the code, but
 * Investing the time to learn a framework pays off in the end (I found
Tony's presentation to be especially convincing)

The frameworks we were talking about were PHP/RoR/Django but I think this
conversation is equally suited to ajaxy toolkits as well.

So if you think you'll have to do several things like this, pick a toolkit
and learn it. If you don't do this kind of stuff often, just write the code.

I won't comment on GWT specifically since I've only evaluated it. However,
if you like writing java more than you like writing javascript it seems like
a good choice.
--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode