[Cialug] Low Memory MySQL and php-cgi

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Tue Dec 11 11:32:21 CST 2007

I've had to tune mysql to *increase* it's memory footprint by tweaking
/etc/my.cnf.  In theory, you could go in there and start reducing
variables until mysql stops running well, then slide the key ones back
up a bit.  That should throttle it down.

You can reduce PHP's RAM usage in php.ini, and you can tune down apache
as well.  Keep in mine that tuning apache is weird because different
directives do different things in different contexts.  Directives to
look at include:  ServerLimit, StartServers, MinSpareServers,
MaxSpareServers, MaxClients, MaxRequestsPerChild.

-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP, GIAC
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> "Nathan C. Smith" <nathan.smith at ipmvs.com> 12/11/07 11:22 AM >>>

I have lighttp, mysql and php-cgi running on a Slug.  I'm trying to
reduce
the memory footprint of mysql and php.  The best tip I found so far
was
"skip-innodb" for mysql.

The Slug has 32MB of RAM.

-Nate