[Cialug]voip

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Sun Dec 9 14:31:12 CST 2007

On Dec 9, 2007, at 12:37 PM, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:

> On 12/5/07, Zachary Kotlarek <zach at kotlarek.com> wrote:
>>
>> But let's
>> not pretend that the phone company provides some magically
>> reliability
>> that you couldn't emulate with your own equipment.
>
> If the telco or the cable company lose power there's nothing that you
> can install at your home that's going to make your phone calls go
> through.

Well, for one thing I could have a link from each. The cheapest naked
DSL plan cable plan is comparable to what you're paying for dial tone
service (keep in mind that naked DSL saves about $10/month in taxes
and fees), so it's not out of the question as a backup link, even for
residential use. Plus it provides redundancy for your data connection,
which may have some value in and of itself.

And if you're willing to spend the money there are satellite and other
wireless Internet links available. The latency would be high, but if
someone positions a backhoe in your satellite line-of-site you've
probably got bigger problems than a lack of connectivity.

> The quesion is then, who are you going to trust to keep
> their systems up and running when the power goes out?  My bet is on
> the telco - they've been in the business longer and their systems are
> structured in such a way that makes it easier for them.

And I think that's a perfectly reasonable choice. I'm just saying that
while the telco might be better than the cable co, they aren't doing
anything particularly special, and paying them $30/month to get a dial
tone isn't the only way to get economical, fault-tolerant voice links.

	Zach